Friday, December 29, 2006

Update

Everyone, sorry for the delay - based on the number of inquiries in the last day or so, I know that Sarah has a captive audience.

You will all be happy to know that she has made the transition to CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.) She is doing very well there in the new environment, and her rehabilitation has begun! The Docs at Geisinger said that CHOP will be her "boot camp" and she has a team of physical, occupational, and speech therapists, guiding her through a program along the way to recovery. (Her own Mt. Everest) From what I hear, the new Docs are very pleased with her progress - though she is not fully conscious, she is emerging.

In this state she is responding to commands with purposeful movement, so we know she can hear us. It is very heartening to see her respond to questions, she can't talk yet, but she can answer "yes and no" or "either or" type questions by holding up one or two fingers. Example, I asked her to hold up one finger if she likes the Cowboys or two fingers if she likes the Eagles, and like her Dad, she is sticking with those guys from Texas - just like before. She has also laughed a few times at Mark's antics, and laughter is a higher end function - so that is really nice to see.

So it looks like she has her strong spirit going for her, and she will need that now. As Brigid described it to me - this is a period of assessment, planning, work, and then rest, a program that will require great endurance on her part, but again, if anyone can do it we know that Sarah can!

Sarah Go!

P.S. Noticed that some of you like to post comments on Sarah's blog, please feel free to do that anytime, it is nice to see. Uncle John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bridget and Marc,
Hi I am Sr. Mary Elizabeth's sister Patricia. I want you to know that I am keeping Sarah in my thoughts and Prayer. My sister is keeping us all up to date on Sarah's progress. I met Sarah when she was in the 2nd grade when my mother and I went to visit. I want to wish you the best for the New Year. Love Patricia McCauley

Anonymous said...

Now is the time for patience and lots of hard work. My continued best hopes and wishes for a better new year. Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi,Bridget and Marc,
My name is Sister Maria and I live with Sister Mary Elizabeth--I just want you both to know that I am always thinking and praying for Sarah and now am wearing a purple band with her name on it--so she is always on my prayers and I am at St. Nicholas/St. Mary School as a Kindergarten Teacher Aide and our little ones also are praying for Sarah.
Our Blessed Mother Pauline Von Mallinckrodt will be the one to pray for. She founded our community of Sisters of Christian Charity and was in Wilkes-Barre a long time ago. Please, take care of yourselves. Love, Sister Maria

Site Meter. Look at this to see who is on line right now!