Friday, January 19, 2007

"I Want to Work"

To Sarah's team:

Just got off the phone with Brigid to find out how Sarah is doing, and I can report that everyone should be proud of Sarah. As you know, the program with the therapists is critical to her recovery, and it sounds like her workload increases everyday. Brigid is coaching her, encouraging her to give it her best effort, and then a little more, encouraging Sarah to think and work like Lance Armstrong, and Sarah is responding. She had completed the PT for the day, and the next therapist was going to give her a break because Sarah was feeling some nauseau with a headache. Sarah had been lying down with her eyes closed at this point but when she heard this she rolled over and announced slowly "I want to work."

Go Sarah Go! (Is everyone looking for there dog-eared list of New Year's resolutions now?)

So Sarah is certainly doing her part and she is relearning how to use everything. Yesterday she completed about 30 steps on the parallel bars, down and back, with improved control of her steps. She is sitting in her chair for longer periods and she continues to practice speech, I got a "hello Uncle John" today on the phone. Also, she is getting some tastes of Italian ice and yogurt - evidently it takes over 25 muscles to swallow some food, and who knows how many to sit up straight in a chair?

Clinically she is getting better, not backsliding, she is doing her work, and they are continuously increasing her load. Now they are adding cognitive questions to the mix, and next week they will start some schoolwork, which I am sure Sarah will enjoy. She gets fatigued from all of this but that is all part of her program of recovery.

So, all is good heading into the weekend! UJ.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job Sarah!
I'm Sarah's friend Mark and i've known her since the summertime. I can't believe the progress she has made since November! I've been praying for her every minute I can, and will continue doing so. We're all rooting for you Sarah! Get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sarah is an inspiration!! Her recovery has made my faith stronger. Sarah's story will make a best selling book and movie!
Keep up the GREAT work, Sarah!! We love you!

Anonymous said...

The news continues to be good. This is music to my ears. Keep the good work, Sarah, and rest when you need to.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are getting better. You have been in our prayers since we read you story. Keep up the great attitude and keep striving, we are all behind you. Hope to see you at a Penguins game soon Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Im sharon gallagers cousin. Sharons sister, my cousin cindy gallagerher kept me updated about Sarah. I was very upset when I heard. I am so glad to hear she is doing better. I hope the best for Sarah and her family. Cindy will keep me updated and i am going to vivit the blog. Go Sarah Go!

with love,
Samantha Morreale

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO SARAH!!! I'm so happy for you and your Family! We have thought about you many times and love hearing how greatyou doing! Thanks for keeping us updated. Can't wait to hear what you do next! Sincerely, Deb Webb

Anonymous said...

i am proud of you sarah!
i will keep up my prayers for you. keep up the good work!

brooke stevens
St. Boniface first grade

Anonymous said...

Hi Samantha again. I wrote to you before. I just want to say I am very happy to hear that sarah is talking and doing homework. I will stay in touch. Best wishes to sarah and her family. Go Sarah Go!

with love,
Samantha Morreale

Tina From Dr. Kerrigan's said...

Hey Sarah,

This is from all of us at Dr. Kerrigan's office. We think and pray for you all the time. I am so proud of you for your courage. We all cannot wait to see you back in the office!

Site Meter. Look at this to see who is on line right now!